The island of Milos has been on my radar for a few years now and it’s all the time good to lastly tick off a kind of bucket record locations you’ve been eyeing up for whereas. Like lastly attending to kiss your crush if you’ll and my first embrace with Milos was 100% well worth the wait. After the fun of the chase, it really took me a few days to actually heat as much as Milos as the truth of the fantasy was lots windier and extra barren than I first anticipated. Relentless wind (not a trait anybody needs in a crush let’s be actual) is a little bit of a perennial downside on Milos and tends to batter the north and north east of the island for weeks at a time. We have been staying up in Pollonia which appears to bear the brunt of the pelting heat winds and at instances the wind can virtually really feel a bit oppressive and maddening, to the purpose you possibly can virtually perceive the craziness of Cathy and Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights once they have been coping with these wild winds on the Moors every day. Nevertheless as quickly as you get right down to the likes of Plaka, Klima and the southern seashores, the wind dulls right down to be a light-weight breeze which you’d out of the blue grateful for within the thick warmth of day. Wind apart, we actually favored staying up in Pollonia and cut up our time between the gorgeous white-washed Salt Studios and Nefeli Sundown Studios simply up the highway. If I went again, I might undoubtedly spend just a few nights renting one of many waterside fisherman cottages on Firopotamus seashore. I completely fell in love with the dream of waking as much as the lapping waves and have barbecues on the terrace each each night. Skiopi Lodge seems like a phenomenal, architect-designed place to remain too, the one cause we didn’t shoot for it in the long run is as a result of it’s fairly abandoned and we like having the ability to stroll for dinner and breakfast typically however I’d once more love to remain there subsequent time for one thing completely different. The breakfast was fairly pathetic at Salt Studios however we a lot most well-liked our room and the decor to that of Nefeli (our room was barely large enough to suit us and our baggage) and Salt additionally boasts an amazing place to have a sundowners and watch the sky flip crimson.
We spent our days on the scooter (with out query you want a scooter or a automotive), heading to completely different seashores every morning earlier than hitting the highway for a late lunch and one other spot for a swim within the afternoon. A lot of the greatest seashores are completely unserviced with only a small van on the high of the seashore monitor providing waters, sodas and crisps so be sure to refill on provides earlier than attending to the seashore. We’d load up on water, watermelon, olive bread sticks, tzatziki and sandwiches for a picnic on the seashore so our rumbling stomachs wouldn’t dictate once we wanted to go away the seashore or search shade in a neighborhood taverna when the seashore warmth bought an excessive amount of for us. Sundown on Milos is one thing of a holy hour so be sure to work your night round attending to a great spot for a drink because the solar goes down; they are surely the a few of the greatest golden hours I’ve ever seen. I assumed I is perhaps a bit too late to the celebration with Milos and maybe the charms of the island had gone the identical method as Mykonos; nonetheless very a lot in tact however with much more fluff to wade by means of to search out mentioned charms. However this wasn’t the case; the island remains to be very undeveloped in components. The roads are petty crappy in locations and one of the best eating places on the island are tremendous well-liked with out being remotely sceney or glitzy which I like. We have been there mid-August, peak time and whereas sure the seashores have been busy and we needed to queue a few instances for dinners, I used to be pleasantly shocked at how there nonetheless appeared to be little seashores and fairly alleyways that felt quiet and discoverable. I’m going to record beneath all of the locations we went and liked, from meals and cocktail spots to the seashores we fell in love with.
- Firopatmos seashore was undoubtedly a favorite and we went again twice. Try to get there earlier than 10 in peak instances in order for you a bean bag lounger for the seashore, in any other case simply lay your towel on the sand or go and discover a spot on the new concrete of the fishing jettys. Include provides as there’s solely slightly truck for waters and coffees. There’s a phenomenal church, a jumping-in spot the place tiny youngsters are doing daring again flips and the water is so completely clear and turquoise.
- One among my different favorite seashores was Provatas (the small one not the large one) which we accessed through the little taverna known as Tarantella. Seize a scrumptious greek salad and a few fried sesame cheese drizzled with honey overlooking the water (aka crack) earlier than heading right down to the sandy seashore beneath. A reasonably magical place for lazing away the afternoon studying whereas sheltered from the wind and dipping into the tremendous calm, shallow water.
- Saranaiko seashore is a should and is a little bit of an iconic spot in Milos for it’s otherworldly, Mars-like look. Not someplace you’d essentially wish to spend all the day because it’s not the comfiest place to lie down for hours (saying that we spent a very good three hours chilling, consuming lunch and wandering up across the headland to get one of the best moon-like pictures.
- Tsigrado seashore is an actual should however I’d get there as early as you. Accessed solely by a ladder, a rope and a slim gorge by means of the rocks (not almost as scary because it sounds!) when it will get busy it may be a little bit of a queue and a one up, one down scenario to get on and off the seashore. However the tiny cove beneath is well worth the problem.
- Firiplaka seashore (tremendous near Tsigrado) is one other nice choice for lazing away the day. Lengthy, sandy with shallow, calm water, it’s household pleasant and fairly however bear in mind that any pictures you see on-line of solar loungers, umbrellas and seashore bar are all old-fashioned as once we have been there there was none of those to be seen so like the vast majority of Milos’ prettiest seashores you’ll must convey your personal umbrella and solar hats in the event you’ll be wanting any trace of shade.
- Klima at sundown actually is magical. Wander down the brightly-painted fisherman’s homes and get a gin & tonic on the Astakas Restaurant within the centre of Klima. We had dinner right here one night time and the meals wasn’t as much as a lot in any respect however the location is tough to beat.
- Dinner at Medousa restaurant is an actual should. One of the crucial well-known eating places on the island and 100% well worth the hype, the meals is easy however excellent. All the standard fare (salted-baked fish, grilled squid, fava and roasted aubergine with feta) however deliciously achieved. Perched proper on the water within the tiny however stunning little fishing cove of Mandrakia, get right here earlier than darkish to soak up the surroundings and get in line for a desk.
- Nab a desk at Utopia cafe in Plaka by 6.30pm for a entrance row seat to the Milos’s fiery sunsets. The most effective spots for sundown however you want a desk to order a drink so get there earlier than the frenzy – or do as we did and speak properly to somebody who’s already there and squeeze onto their desk).
- We made a little bit of a adventurous pilgrimage to the untouched west of the island at some point. Truthfully one of the best afternoon we had on the entire week, a lot so I’m virtually reluctant to share it as a result of I’d love this little seashore at the very least to remain our little secret. Ensure you’ve bought a full tank (in a scooter at the very least) and loads of water because the 45 minute journey down bumpy tracks the place there’s not a single soul or sheep to be seen makes you very grateful you’ve bought the peace of thoughts you’ve bought each. We stopped for lunch on the tiny, easy family-run taverna Embourios earlier than persevering with down the soiled tracks (clinging on for pricey life) to Triades seashore, a splendidly quiet sandy seashore with the form of water I swear makes you reside longer after only one swim. There have been possibly three different folks on the seashore once we have been there. The sand is marbled black and white and the peace and quiet was virtually meditative. We needed to tear ourselves away to make the furry journey house earlier than it bought darkish; I may have stayed there bobbing round within the water till the solar went down.
- Have dinner at Avli Restaurant in Plaka. Don’t confuse this with the large, heaving restaurant within the sq. the place the foot seems fairly primary; Avli is tucked across the nook in slightly alleyway and serves up scrumptious plates of baked eggplant, shrimp saganaki and stuffed vine leaves.
- In the event you’re staying in Pollonia, be certain that to have breakfast at Kivotos ton Gefseon. We liked having sage tea and scrambled eggs within the shade at this candy little Greek cafe. Additionally they make wonderful breads and pastries if you wish to seize one thing for the seashore too.
- Deck in Pollonia was an amazing little spot for cocktails within the night and for takeaway bagels and wraps method nicer than anything we discovered on the island.
- In Pollonia itself, we tried Enalion and Akrotiri Seafood Obsession, the latter of which we favored barely greater than the opposite, simply be ready for a protracted, leisurely diner; Greek service isn’t the speediest. Even in the event you’re not staying in Pollonia, it’s undoubtedly value coming for dinner one night time as the gorgeous harbour is nice for wandering down (there’s an image excellent blue and white church on the far finish) and have a seafood dinner adopted by a stroll with a scoop of gelato to-go.
- Oh Hamas! for dinner (or lunch) is a should and because it’s a little bit of a establishment on Milos. Get there early; we made the error of getting there at 9 and queuing for an hour earlier than getting a desk. Each menu is meticulously written out by hand and the family-run restaurant is all the time heaving and filled with character and allure. We really actually didn’t just like the meals however maybe we ordered badly. We went for the goat and lamb respectively and it felt very heavy and fatty however possibly that was compared to all of the fish and greek veggies we’d been consuming up till that time. Nevertheless it’s undoubtedly value a go to and is on the high of lots of people’s Milos suggestions.
- The aforementioned crazy-making wind made boating unimaginable once we have been in Milos (one more reason to return) which was a bit gutting as everybody says it’s one of the best factor they did whereas on Milos. If I went again I might def organise some form of boat journey out across the coast of Milos, journeying to both Kimolos or the Klemtiko caves and Poleygos. All regarded beautiful and the water is seemingly even bluer and clearer on the market than on Milos’ seashores. Subsequent time…
Bikini | Hunza G
Hat | Ganni
Bikini bottoms | Made by Daybreak
Jumper | Wool & the Gang
Anklet | Historical Greek
Costume| Realisation Par
Bikini | Hunza G
Necklaces | Lucy Williams X Missoma 1987 assortment
Bikini high | Faithfull the Model
Sun shades | Gucci
Brief | Terry Towelling
Bikini | Cooke & Kin
Costume | Love Shack Fancy
Bag | Faithfull the Model
Sun shades | Gucci
Costume | With Jean
Footwear | Loq
Bag | Loeffler Randall
Jewelry | Lucy Williams X Missoma
High | Strong & Striped
Shorts | Levis
Bikini | Minimale Animale
Shirt | Asceno
Hat | Free Folks
Swimsuit | Dos Gardenias
Head scarf | Faithfull the Model
Sun shades | Gucci
Costume | She Made Me
All pictures owned by me. All rights reserved.